The Mobile Wallet Can Mobilize Your Business
Looking for a new way to promote your events or offers? How about one that eliminates the need to print flyers and other marketing collateral – an otherwise eco-friendly way to get event information directly into your consumers’ hands? Interested? Then what you’re looking for is access to your customer’s mobile wallet via Apple’s Passbook® mobile app.
Passbook is a standard, pre-loaded app on all Apple iPhones (operating system iOS 6 and up). Android’s version of this app is called PassWallet. According to recent research by eMarketer, smartphone usage worldwide will be at 1.75 billion users by end of 2014! So while many local businesses want to notify recurring clients of an event or special promotion, just think of the reach your event notification could have around the globe!
What makes these mobile wallet apps such as Passbook so unique is that they allow users to store various items such as digital coupons, airline boarding passes, movie tickets, event passes, retail store cards, gift cards, loyalty cards, and more, all categorized in one location and super easy to use. Oh, and they’re paperless too! So guess what? Digital passes, tickets and coupons will be really hard to forget, misplace or lose!
There are a variety of ways a user can add a pass into Passbook—you can do it via mobile apps, emails containing links to the pass, via websites with short links and QR code scanning from off of a Point of Purchase (POP) display, website, social media post, etc. Redemption is just as easy, the user just scans his/her iPhone or iPod touch to redeem a coupon, check-in for a flight, enter a movie or get access into an event. It’s that simple!
In addition to ease-of-use, Apple’s new operating system, iOS 7, now delivers even more unique opportunities because the iOS 7 Passbook app has a QR scanner build right into it! And unlike other QR code scans that often take you to a website to get access to a link to then get to your pass, the Passbook scanner instead loads a digital and trackable pass directly onto the user’s iPhone. This enables yet another another unique opportunity that is giving you the ability to bridge your print with your digital media channels. You can now have direct and integrated communication with your customers from print materials, flyers, POP displays, etc. to your digital channels like a website, emails, e-newsletters, social networks, and much more.
Another very innovative feature, is that Apple’s Passbook mobile app uses location notifications i.e. all passes are time and location enabled so on the day of the event, the pass will appear on the user’s lock screen reminding them of the event. Their smartphone will vibrate or sound to notify them, passing along a gentle reminder: “Hey, there’s an event happening tonight!” Similar to when your boarding pass is loaded in Passbook, and a flight is getting nearer, you get a reminder notification when it’s nearing the time to board your flight. In addition, these location notifications will also pop-up a reminder in the lock screen when the customer/invitee is nearby your location or the event location, offering another reminder that this event is coming soon. What else? You can use this notification feature to also provide any updated information regarding your event. For example, if the date or time of your event changes, perhaps due to bad weather, you can send an event update and a new updated pass for the invitee’s mobile wallet.
The Passbook mobile app provides an innovative and convenient event ticketing experience for your customers. Your attendees can now access their tickets and information easily from their smartphone.
Engaging customers in this distinctive and yet simple way, through the digital invite, opens up a ton of opportunity for restaurants, bars, nightclubs and other establishments that often host events, happy hours, special promotions to bring in foot traffic.
Here’s a quick summary of the benefits of integrating your company’s event(s) with Apple’s Passbook mobile app:
• Convenience for your attendees – Passes are stored in one convenient location, in the invitee’s Passbook app, totally paperless and easily accessible.
• Update notifications – If there are any event changes, your attendees will get a notification and an updated event pass.
• Location notifications – Your event pass will automatically pop-up on the lock screen of the registered attendee’s smartphone when he/she is nearby your location or nearby the event location.
• Easy QR scan for check-in – Each pass contains a QR code. Just scan it with any QR reader to check the attendee into the event and mark their pass as redeemed.
• Event details on back – There are two sides to every pass. By pushing on the bottom right corner of the pass, the digital pass flips over to reveal more event details. Here you can have the date, time, website links, contact information and more for your attendees’ convenience.
• Trackable passes – With the Passbook mobile app, all your coupons and passes are trackable. You can track things like the number of active and inactive passes in distribution (i.e. those redeemed and not yet redeemed), look at month-to-month pass usage and see a comparison month over month, look at active passes by template or different offers/events, and more.
As you can see, Passbook provides a seamless and yet robust experience for your customers, which of course reflects highly on your company event and/or offer. Even if your event doesn’t require a ticket for access, it is still a very good idea to try this feature for your next event, if anything, for the marketing opportunity and for your customer’s convenience. Including Passbook in your mobile marketing strategy can dramatically mobilize your digital campaigns.