Dynamic Digital Signs Have Multiple Applications
Digital signage is a broad term that describes the integration of a variety of technologies into a single solution for the purpose of portraying visual information, messages, advertising, and more. Digital signage is remotely controlled distribution and playback of digital content across networks of displays. It can be used for delivering visual messages at point-of-purchase, or at any other public venue. This unique and powerful communications medium provides unparalleled opportunities to capture your audience’s attention—regardless of where it is placed.
Digital signage is often called dynamic signage. It’s a specialized form of slivercasting in which video or multimedia content is displayed on electronically controlled displays in public places for informational or advertising purposes. Digital signage usually consists of a computer or playback device connected to a large, digital screen such as an LCD or plasma display.
If the display is connected to a computer, the data on the screen can be updated in real time by means of an Internet or proprietary network connection. Data transmission and storage are streamlined by compression to minimize file size. The system can employ multiple screens if a larger display is desired.
There are several advantages to the use of digital signs instead of traditional static signs, the most important of which include:
• Digital signage can be updated on the fly through a digital signage network without having to interact with the signs physically.
• Unlike static signs the multimedia dimension offered by digital signage makes content more engaging, more informative and more targeted.
• Digital signage can be interactive with the use of touch screen technology, QR Codes and other interactive technologies.
• Digital signage has been shown in numerous studies to offer a better ROI.
Additional benefits of digital signage include:
• Rapid ability to communicate on a broad scale
• Cost effective compared to single-use printed posters and banners
• Build branding
• Improved customer experience
• Perfect for emergency response systems
• Rentable signage space provides a renewable source of income
• Easily target your messages to specific audiences and locations
Digital signs can be placed in just about any environment, such as:
• Auto dealerships
• Health clubs
• Houses of worship
• Medical facilities
• Office buildings
• Retail outlets
• Educational institutions
• Shopping malls
• Train and bus stations
• Other public venues
Advances in technology have increased the capabilities of what digital signage can do and at the same time made it more usable. This has greatly increased the number of core applications being fulfilled with digital signage. Some of these applications are:
• Public information: News, weather and other location-specific public safety information
• Internal company information: Newsletters, event announcements, corporate messages
• Advertising: Target your market with colorful and informative messages and product demonstrations
• Brand building: In-store promotion of your brand
• Influence customer behavior: Direct customers to sales and item locations while increasing in-store dwell time
• Enhance customer experience: Reduce perceived wait time in lobbies, checkout lines and waiting rooms
• Enhanced environment: Offer dynamic maps, store information, etc.
In recent years, digital signage has really taken off. Your competitors are already using or exploring the use of digital signage and its many benefits. Are you?