14 Steps for Writing Effective Blogs
Do you have a blog? Is it getting the responses and pageviews you wanted? If not, you may be making some common but easily fixed blogging mistakes.
Here are 14 helpful steps for writing effective blog posts:
- Be Conversational: It’s called social media for a reason. Eliminate stiff, boring content that lacks personality. The goal is to bring your readers into the conversation. Write in the same tone that you’d use if you were talking face-to-face with your readers. An interactive, personal tone helps generate buzz for your content.
- Keep advertisements to a minimum: If you place ads on your blog, keep them separated from the content. Place them in a sidebar or in a banner along the top or bottom of the page. Always make your content the main focus of your blog. And don’t overly promote yourself. Social media users will soon ignore any blog that constantly displays ulterior motives. Make sure you’re adding to your readers’ online experience by being useful and educational.
- Use Pictures: Pictures act as a great supplement for your social media content. No matter how great your writing is, few readers want to be greeted with a long block of text when they click on your post. Pictures make your content easier to scan and they add aesthetic value to your post. Plus research shows readers are more likely to read a post that’s accompanied by a picture.
- Become a resource: If you want your content to rise to the top of social media sites and to generate inbound links, you need to write pieces that act as a resource. How can you do this? By providing detailed analysis or information that can’t be found anywhere else. Make your blog post a leading resource is by including the tools and links to some hidden gems that others have overlooked. Make your post the place where readers can learn all they need to about a particular subject from.
- Be unique: There are now literally thousands of blogs on the Internet and new ones are popping up every day. So, why should I read yours? The best way to stand out from the every growing crowd is to have a unique voice readers can’t find anywhere else. How can you do that? By being your own unique self. Write with a personal voice and be yourself. It’s that simple.
- Post frequently: Keeping your readers’ attention is the key to building a loyal following. That’s difficult to do this if you post every few weeks or whenever you get around to it. You probably don’t need to post every day, but post regularly enough to keep your audience’s awareness.
- Persevere: Social media marketing requires a long-term commitment. You have to keep writing and posting. Learn from your mistakes and keep tweaking your approach until you hit on a formula that works. It’s a learning experience. Building a successful blog can be a slow process. But with time and perseverance you can achieve something great.
- Open things up for conversation: Social media, including blogs, is about creating a dialogue with your readers. Your job as a blogger is to get the conversation started. You do this by expressing a clear opinion on the topics you write about, choosing timely issues, and then asking readers to share their thoughts.
- Respond to comments: If a reader leaves a comment he/she expects the writer to respond to it. Knowing the author will respond to comments gives the reader incentive to join the conversation. When your respond, you keep the conversation going and build relationships with your readers.
- Add something new to for your readers: Whatever topic you are writing about has probably been covered by someone else. That’s not a problem. But make sure you add a own unique perspective or some info not generally covered to the topic.
- Tag and categorize your content: Readers are interested in specific subjects and those subjects are what they want to read about. Categorizing your content makes it easy for readers to find the information they need fast. It’s a simple matter of usability.
- Write compelling headlines: A great headline is the first thing readers see of your blog and the foundation of all social media content. If your headline doesn’t grab the readers’ interest, they won’t bother reading the rest of your post.
- Link out: Linking out turns your blog into a resource for your readers. When you link out, readers know you’re giving them all the info they need. In addition, linking out captures the attention of other bloggers, helping you build your network.
- Optimize your posts for the search engines: If your posts aren’t targeting specific keywords, you’re missing out on long-term search engine traffic. Stick to some SEO basics like keywords in headlines, body content, and back links.
By implementing these 14 steps in your blog posts, you can spread the word and increase your readership.